Monday, September 1, 2008

Sydney's first week of Kindergarten!





I'm behind on my blogging. Sydney's first week of school also coincided with my first bout of strep throat and I am just now really feeling back to normal...thank goodness! The week before last Sydney had one half day of school, which went great. Then last Monday started full days...everyday. It was a long week for both of us. On Monday she was excited to go because that would be the first day with the entire class...so she'd get to meet everyone and it would be her first full length day. When I picked her up Monday I could tell she was tired, but she said it was a fun day. I had been preparing myself that at some point the "newness" (is that a word?) of school would wear off and she would not want to go. I know her very well, and I knew this would happen...I think it happens with most kids at some point. What I wasn't expecting was how quickly this would happen! On Tuesday morning as we were about to leave for school she started saying she didn't want to go and was whining, dragging her feet, etc. I sat down with her to talk about what she was feeling. I didn't just want to brush her off and just tell her to suck it up, because I still remember missing my mom and being sad at school when I was her age. I can even remember that pit in my stomach and the tears welling up in my eyes when I had to let go of my mom and go in to my class. So, I tried reflecting her feelings, telling her that we would miss her too and that after some time we would both get adjusted to this and that she was going to make so many friends and do so many fun projects. Well, all the talking in the world didn't do any good because she had already made up her mind she WASN'T going to school. She said, "Mommy, you're more funner than projects." That was such a high compliment from her and I'm so glad she feels that way! The transition is just going to take time. She is used to being home with me, and going to school 5 days a week is a BIG transition.



When I pulled up to the front of the drop-off line her tears turned into a complete meltdown. I had to get out of the line and pull into the parking lot because I was holding everyone else up, since she wouldn't get out. One of the teachers who helps with the car line came over to help me, but I just had to park the van and climb into the third row to physically get her out. Sydney was beside herself and she couldn't calm herself down and it was MISERABLE for both of us. I finally got her out of the van, gave her a big hug & kiss and told her how much I loved her and that I knew God was going to help her be okay today & that I'd see her in the afternoon. Then I let her go with the assistant, but she was still crying and very sad and letting her go was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. As soon as she was out of sight I completely broke down, but I knew after she was in her class that she would be okay. I was so torn inside about what to do because part of me of course just wanted to take her back home! Of course I knew that would have only made the situation worse in the long run. I e-mailed the teacher to check on her when I got home and she responded and said she was doing fine. he teacher was nice enough to call me that night to see what we could do to make the transition easier for Sydney. On Wednesday morning we arranged to meet her teacher outside early in the drop-off line so she could walk Sydney in and another little girl from their class who has had a hard time the first few days. That made a world of difference! Then on Thursday I dropped Sydney off at the same time as a neighbor friend and they happily walked in together. That night my neighbor called and offered to take Sydney to school, so she will be riding and walking in with two other Kindergartners. Having friends to walk in with seems to be the trick to making her feel more confident, so hopefully this new carpooling system will work out really well. Toward the end of the week Sydney was coming home excited to tell me what they had learned that day. One day they made lemonade and another day they made "haystacks" to eat as their snack. I am sure there will be more ups & downs with school but I am glad we made it through the first week. I am glad I am feeling better now as we are gearing up for Week 2 of school! I felt badly for Avery last week because I felt so sick that it was hard for me to be a fun mommy. I think she probably thinks Sydney going to school means a boring time for her, but hopefully this week I can redeem myself! : )

No comments: