Friday, September 26, 2008

Attack of the stomach bug

On Monday after school Sydney told me, "Mommy, something kind of weird happened today." I was thinking to myself, "What could that be?" It's the kind of comment that makes a mom a little nervous. She told me that someone in her class had gotten sick and had to go home from school. I said I was sorry to hear that (honestly I was more concerned about finding out what this sickness was!) and asked her for more details. She said the child threw up. It was so funny trying to get the information out of her. She was very nonchalant about the whole thing and not very forthcoming. Finally, after asking her several different questions she said that the child was sitting at her table and threw up ON the table. Oh boy. She said, "But it didn't get on me." Well, that's good, but still not so reassuring. She couldn't tell me if this child was a boy or girl, or if they were sitting right next to her or not. Now I am thinking maybe she blocked it from her memory because she was traumatized by it! I put it out of my mind because there was nothing I could do but worry (and I don't need anything more to worry about) and was secretly hoping this poor child had a small bout of nerves or food poisoning, and not a stomach virus.

The next night we had a parent-teacher conference with Sydney's teacher...which went great by the way. I really like her teacher and think she's a great fit for Sydney. She said Sydney was very high in academics and above average for Kindergarten. Her teacher wants to refer her to a reading specialist for testing to see if she could benefit from small group time outside of class with the specialist...since she thinks Sydney is ready for more advanced reading. She's already reading quite a bit at home so I'm glad the teacher is observing this as well. Anyway, I'm digressing from my story...sorry. So, the teacher said, "Did Sydney tell you a little boy threw up right next to her on Monday?" Well, sort of...I knew a child threw up somewhere near her, but RIGHT next to her...nice. The teacher said there's also a stomach virus going around the school. Yipee!

We got to Thursday and I really thought we had dodged the bullet of her getting sick since it had been 3 days since she had been exposed. Whew! Not so fast. Today she woke up throwing up. Poor baby. It's such a helpless feeling for a mommy because there's nothing I can do other than try to make her as comfortable as possible. She just wanted me to lay with her and hold her. I SO wanted to do that, but of course with boy wonder crawling around everywhere it wouldn't be prudent for me to leave him unsupervised. When I have all three at home Sydney is the oldest and usually the least "needy" physically, anyway. So, all of a sudden when she is SO needy, and the other two are also...it's just really hard! Thankfully Sydney has been asleep for almost 3 hours and I'm praying that this is a short-lived 24 hour thing...please, Lord! I really, really hope that this does not spread through our entire family. We have basically been sick with something starting with my strep throat about a month ago, so I am ready for everyone to be well. I feel like I'm whining now. Even despite this day NOT turning out the way I wanted I can still see God's faithfulness & provision! She could have easily gotten sick at school instead of at home (like that poor little boy in her class). I am SO thankful that if she had to get sick that she was at HOME with me. When you are sick, all you want if your mommy! I am still like that with my mom...I still want to be taken care of when I feel rotten. I know God has our family in the palm of his hand and He is holding Sydney...even when I can't.

2 comments:

b said...

poor sweet girl. i know that's such a helpless feeling for a mommy too.

you made me laugh with the "boy wonder" comment. there's really no other words to describe him! :o)

Jeannie said...

Bless her sweet heart! I hope she feels better soon!