
We had Ben dedicated at our church on Saturday night, August 30. We have been going to Fellowship for 9 years now. We started going there right after we were married, when the church was meeting in a high school and had about 200 members. Now the church has its own big building and about 3000 members. Quite a change in 9 years! We still miss the intimacy of the church the way it was when we started going back then, but we are thankful that the heart of the church and its dedication to expository teaching has not changed. The church has grown because peoples lives have been changed and we're so thankful for that. We don't want to be somewhere that is "stagnant" or where people are not growing. We love that Ben is our 3rd baby to dedicate there. It was neat for all 5 of us to be able to stand together Sat. night and look out to see our family, friends, community group that were there to show us their support as we strive to love and parent Ben (and the girls) the way that God wants us to. I was trying to take this seriously, of course, but the kids were stealing the show. Ben was cooing and kicking in my arms. Sydney was squeezing Ben's leg and trying to tickle him (as usual she can't keep her hands off him!), and Avery was waving to family and also trying to grab my neck (AKA her security blanket). I just tried to ignore them and focus on what the pastor was saying. At least we got everything on video so I can go back and really listen to what Pastor Marty was saying! The big thing is that even though we call this a "baby dedication" it is really more of a "parent dedication". We don't believe in infant baptism or "sprinkling". Ben will have to make the decision someday to accept Jesus as his Lord & Savior, and I pray that our family will point him to Jesus in everything we do so that he will make that decision some day (hopefully at a young age) on his own. We are just planting the seeds and trusting God to work in our children's hearts.
The questions Pastor Marty asked Dave and I were:
- Do you publicly declare this day that it is your intention to passionately pursue your relationship with God will all your heart, your soul, and your strength and faithfully live out the teachings of Scripture?
- Do you publicly declare this day that it is your intention to passionately pursue your relationship with God will all your heart, your soul, and your strength and faithfully live out the teachings of Scripture?
-Do you commit that you will teach the Word of God diligently to your child as you provide a Christ centered home where you will bring up your child in the wisdom and knowledge of the Lord?
I think I need to keep both of these written on a notecard and tape them on my mirror, because I think it's so important for me to remember that THIS is my responsibility as a parent...not having wonderful dinners every night, keeping the house & laundry clean or keeping up with my to-do list. The most important thing I can do is show my children Jesus! Also, I need to remember that the Holy Spirit will help me be who my children need, because I do NOT have it all together and never will!
We were the only family dedicating a baby at the Sat. night service so Pastor Marty was really able to personalize his words and prayer just for us. It was a really special time for our family. It was also the last weekend that Nathan & Christy Nockels (from "Watermark") will be leading worship at our church because they've moved to Atlanta, so worshipping together with them this last time is a sweet memory I will cherish of this night. Afterward we went back to Dave's parents' house for a wonderful dinner in Ben's honor. All our immediate family were there and so was Dave's grandmom and Janice, Wanda & Marshall and cousin Will (12 days younger than Ben). We are so thankful to have so many wonderful friends and family who love us so much and are praying for us!
What would a special occasion be without one of Charlotte's famous cakes?!


2 comments:
it was a very special night! i got a couple of good pictures before my camera died, i'll send them to you so you can post them.
what a beautiful picture of mom and ben!!
Post a Comment